Lemony Cupcakes Cookies with Lime Juice and Lemon Zest Icing, a photo by gummychild on Flickr.
This recipe is great for either cookies or mini-cupcakes, and it's incredibly easy, as Aiva helped me make them. As you know, I'm not always a fan of boxed cake mixes, but it works in certain recipes, and this is certainly one of them. However, my favorite part is the icing on top. It's addicting!
Lemony Cupcakes (or Cookies) with Lime Juice and Lemon Zest Icing:
- 1 box of white cake mix
- 1 box of lemon cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 Cup of water
- 1/2 Cup of vegetable or canola oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix all of the ingredients until the batter is smooth.
3. For cookies, scoop about 1 Tablespoon of batter onto parchment paper or greased cookie sheet, leaving about 1 inch between each drop (the cookies will expand!).
4. Cook between 8-10 minutes. My oven is generally hotter, so I went with 8 minutes.
5. Let the cookies/cupcakes cool completely, about 20 minutes, before icing.
- 1.5 Cups of powdered (confectioners) sugar
- 1.5 - 2 Tbsp of juice from either 1 large lime or 2 small key limes
- Zest from 1 yellow lemon
1. Mix all ingredients with a fork until smooth. If it is too thick, add a bit more lime juice.
2. When cookies are cooled, drizzle with icing. I personally just took the cookies/cupcakes and dipped the tops into the icing.
3. Let cookies rest with icing on top for about 10-15 minutes before eating.